These days almost everyone has their personal computer or notebook. How many people are maintaining their PC in a well manner? May be few. There are few things which you need to address in order to speed up computer.
How to Speed Up PC or Notebook
1. Do not keep more icons on your desktop screen. Because too many icons may create too many address references.
2. Keep your data organized. Delete unwanted data.
3. Delete temporary files – Open Run (windows key+R), type temp, enter and delete all temp files.
In the next window click on Disk Cleanup and delete temp data, error logs everything. I managed to delete 1.2 GB temp data by doing Disk Cleanup.
5. Disk Error Check – In the same Drive Properties window click on Tools tab, under Error Checking click on Check. Then it will ask to Schedule Disk Error Check. Simply schedule it. Next time when you restart the your PC or Notebook it will ask for disk check. Please don’t skip disk check.
6. When we are installing software we forget to uncheck “Start with Windows “. It means the software you are going to install will start with your Windows boot. If there are too many startup software on your PC or Laptop, once your Windows has boot up the PC will be hanged until all the startup programs start. Fortunately we can control startup programs easily. This procedure works for Windows XP/Vista/7. For Windows users the step are different, which I’ll explain after this step. Just open Run, type msconfig and hit enter.
A “System Configuration” window will popup on the screen. Under General Tab opt for Selective Startup in that check only Load System Services and finally hit Apply.
In the same window navigate to Startup Tab, select only anti-virus program you installed and hit Apply.
Now if you navigate back to General tab you can see Load Startup Items partially activated. Just hit Apply and then Ok.
If you are using Windows 8 or 8.1. Just open Task Manager and at the bottom click on More Details.
Then the window gets expanded. Just click on Startup tab to see startup programs with their Status and Startup impact. Click on the program that has High Startup Impact and Disable it. I strongly recommend to disable all the programs except Anti-Virus and System Drivers.
7. Uninstall software which you don’t need anymore.
8. Use Anti-Virus cum Anti-Spamware, Anti-Spyware and Anti-Malware and update them frequently.
9. If you are using windows 7 or 8 schedule automatic maintenance.
10. Install all software and OS updates. Updates contain new features and some bug fixes to previous version.
A machine should also treated like a human. I mean at least once in a month we should do some maintenance activities like deleting temp data, disk cleanup and error checking to enjoy better performance for many years. If you liked this post please do us favor by leaving a comment and sharing this post with your friends 🙂