In my previous post I explained how to configure W3 Total Cache plugin settings to boost your website performance. I think you might have heard of CDN (Content Delivery Network) services. Earlier your website will be hosted on only one server. Depending on the server distance the response time increases and it also takes more time to load the entire website from the distant server. To address this issue CDN services came into picture. The idea of Content Delivery Network is to keep multiple copies of your website on servers located across the globe. So your website will be served from the nearest server. Also CDN compresses and caches the website data thus boosts your website speed.
Google PageSpeed Service
Similar to CDN Google came up with PageSpeed service. The key idea is Google keeps your website copy on PageSpeed servers in Google data centers located across the globe and serves the speed optimized copy of your website from the nearest PageSpeed server to the user. It also caches your website and you can also flush DNS to serve latest copy of your website.
Google PageSpeed Service Setup
Enabling Google PageSpeed Service for your domain is as easy as using a CDN service. Just follow the below steps.
1. Visit Google PageSpeed Service, click on Sign up now, fill in your email id & domain in the form and finally hit Submit.
2. After sometime you will receive an email invitation to Google PageSpeed Service. The email contain a report showing how much speed you can increase and a link to your PageSpeed Service project.
3. Click on Get Started in the email. It will redirect you to your Project Dashboard. In right side navigation menu click on PageSpeed Service.
5. If you haven’t claimed your website using Google Webmasters Tools then hit Claim Ownership. It will redirect you to Google Webmasters Tools Site verification page. Choose HTML Tag method since it is the easiest way to verify ownership. Just copy <meta> tag and paste it under your theme <Head> tag.
6. After claiming your ownership just try to Add domain PageSpeed Service as in Step 4. Now your domain will be added and displays Status as Not Ready.
7. Now click on Setup domain. It will show instructions to add a CNAME record to your DNS Settings. You can find instructions popular DNS providers in this page.
8. After you edit the DNS settings as in Step 7 you will see PageSpeed Service status as Enabled. Now hit Run speed test to see optimized speed of your site. That’s how you can enable Google PageSpeed service for your domain.
Page speed is also one of the Google ranking factors. Everyone can’t afford to buy a CDN service to boost their website performance. But Google PageSpeed Service is free and your website will be secure in Google servers. Still PageSpeed Service is in beta version. Google is planning to introduce new features in coming releases with some paid plans.
Hope this post helped you in setting up your domain with Google PageSpeed Service. If you liked this post please do us a favour by leaving a comment and sharing this post on Facebook and Twitter 🙂